[vc_row type=”in_container” full_screen_row_position=”middle” scene_position=”center” text_color=”dark” text_align=”left” overlay_strength=”0.3″][vc_column column_padding=”no-extra-padding” column_padding_position=”all” background_color_opacity=”1″ background_hover_color_opacity=”1″ column_shadow=”none” width=”1/1″ tablet_text_alignment=”default” phone_text_alignment=”default” column_border_width=”none” column_border_style=”solid”][vc_column_text]
As a former attorney general and seasoned corporate attorney, John brings unmatched credibility, experience and networks.
From 2009 through 2013, John served in the Utah Attorney General’s office, as Chief Deputy Attorney General overseeing seven civil divisions, and later as the Attorney General of Utah, where he worked with attorneys general across the United States. He also was a legislator in the Utah State House of Representatives from 1997 – 2002.
In his three terms in the State legislature, John chaired a full committee over public utilities and technology and sponsored significant legislation in the areas of taxation and property rights.
John’s clients also receive the advantage of his corporate experience as general counsel to a global, privately-held company and partner in a business litigation and transactional law firm.
This unique background in business and public service provides John broad expertise at the complicated junction of business and government. He excels with helping corporate clients in civil and government investigative matters. Indeed, John creates and executes strategies for positive client outcomes in all areas involving government, including legislation, investigations, limited permits, consumer protection, privacy and compliance.
He also efficiently manages complex corporate transactions, executive compensation and equity, mergers and acquisitions, and government contracting. He appears before myriad agencies, committees, legislatures, and local county and city governments. Such appearances cover consumer protection, privacy, licensing, permitting, land-use and establishing policy through legislation and rule-making, leading to client successes due to his uncommon skills.
In addition to his legal services, John is a skilled public speaker and offers keynotes and executive/training on how to prevent and navigate destructive allegations that threaten investments in goodwill and jeopardize personal reputation, job security and legacy.
John has experience in the following industries:
- Dietary Supplements
- Direct Sales
- Financial Services
- Government Legislation, Defense and Licensing
- Door to door sales
- Real Estate
- Executive compensation and equity
- Business Organization
- Litigation and Preliminary Relief
Sample Government Work
- Navigated complex licensing analysis, application and execution in a new industry in multiple states involving extensive federal and state issues dealing with medical cannabis.
- In local government enforcement action, crafted and execute a complex successful, time-sensitive defense preserving millions of dollars in contested contaminated inventory.
- Represented clients in multiple state licensing applications dealing with newly-licensed pharmaceutical products. Worked closely with department heads and staff.
- Represents clients in disputes with local (county) government in matters of taxation.
- Worked with government officials to secure remedies against an abusive public company in matters of stock options and employment benefits, including life insurance.
- Successfully represented Plaintiffs and counter defendants in a multimillion dollar breach of contract and fraud action in the Fourth District Court, for Utah County, Utah.
- Successfully defended a life insurance beneficiary designation case involving multiple plaintiffs and Metropolitan Life Insurance Company in Third District Court, for Salt Lake County, Utah.
- Successfully obtained a preliminary injunction after a truncated mini trial for breach of the Utah Trade Secrets Act which resulted in the signing of a long term license agreement in favor of clients in Salt Lake County, Utah.
- Negotiated and resolved an extensive use license in the e-commerce space between competitors following successful litigation involving client trade secret and non-competition protections.
Representative Business Organizations/Transactional
- Assisted industry-leading regional company in the formation of a national expansion entity dealing with franchising.
- Created executive services equity compensation packages for a rapidly-expanding privately-held companies with diverse classes of units, Amended and Restated Operating Agreements, Award Agreements, and Equity Compensation Plans, Executive Employment Agreements and necessary consents.
- Created merger and consolidation documents for multiple family entities under trusts, for regulatory and asset protection purposes.
- Analysis and creation of asset protection documents for closely-held family-owned entities and assets.
- Prepared asset sale/transfer agreements for private businesses.
- Organizes LLCs and prepare Operating Agreements.
- The Power of the Shield-Permanently Enjoining Litigation Against Entities other than the Debtor-A Look at In re A.H. Robins Co., May 1, 1990, Brigham Young University Law Review.
- Becoming a Game Changer, presented as a Keynote at American Free Enterprise Success Seminar, May, 2019.
- Great Moments Born from Opportunity, presented at several forums.
- Ten Keys to Prevent, Prepare Against and Navigate Weaponized Allegations.
- The Legislative Process and How it Really Works.
- How to Win a Nomination to a State Legislative Seat.
- Surviving False Allegations.
- The Miracle of the US Constitution and What Constitutional Protections Grant to all Americans.
- Dual Sovereignty and What “State’s Rights” Really Should Mean.
Utah, Colorado and the United States Supreme Court Bars.
J. Reuben Clark (Brigham Young University) Law School (J.D. 1990; BYU Law Review); Brigham Young University (B.S. in Psychology 1987). Proficient in reading and speaking Spanish.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]